Sunday, April 10, 2011

Eh

New blog.

My first one was scattered all over the place. Sometimes I wrote about things on my mind, sometimes I wrote about trips I took. I made fun of my state's governor. I tried to start a movement with my 1 follower. I had this weird way of naming my blogs.

Rookie mistakes. I had no idea what made a good blog. Truth be told, I still don't.

So if I can't promise that I know what I am doing, that I won't make the same mistakes, what can I promise? Well, I am glad I asked. Let me answer that and then provide some further insight. First - I promise that I will not double-space after my periods. Second - I will actually post. Third - while I can't promise I won't make mistakes, I can promise that I won't make the error in judgment I made the first time I started a blog.

The double-space thing is new for me. Apparently the people behind the MLA formatting book have decided that it is no longer necessary for the two spaces after a period when typing. It has something to do with typeset on typewriters and the awesomeness of modern day printing apparatuses. I don't know. I just know that my copywriter at work told me to stop wasting spaces.

Posting is pretty self-explanatory. If you can't figure that out, we may need to reevaluate our blogger/blog reader relationship, because I am going to lose you along the way and I don't want to have to wear one of those Velcro phone-cord things to keep you with me. That said, I will re-post some of my favorite blogs posts from my old blog. That is the best part about being my own editor...I don't care if I reuse my own material.

The error in judgment from my first blog was a big one. I thought I was writing this for everyone else. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the idea that others will read what I write. People reading, commenting and following is like crack for bloggers. But it is foolish to think of a blog as anything other than a journal that I am keeping of my thoughts that others can read. It is insight into my mind, sure. It will hopefully be witty to anyone that reads it. I may even write something that is inspiring or moving. But ultimately the benefit is mine alone. And that benefit is probably far off from today. Me going back and rereading these posts 5 years from now is what this is about.

So enjoy. Follow along. Comment all you want. But remember one of the most important things a person can learn: It's not about you.

1 comment:

  1. Geez - you had to go and be all humble and introspective on your purpose for blogging. I just like attention, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I also like two spaces behind my periods and I'm madly in love with the oxford comma. MLA be damned.

    Yay! Tim is blogging!!! :)

    ReplyDelete